Monday, February 1, 2010

Internets A-Blazing

I'm in one of my slightly removed places right now, doing some thinking, some writing, some planning for the year ahead, not to mention waiting for the final season of Lost to begin. I've got my priorities squared away, I know.

At any rate, some very, very exciting things are popping up on the interwebs, so I'm going the lazy blogger route and offering up a link-o-rama (with a dash of commentary)! Enjoy!

- Gus has an idea. David likes it and ups the ante. Scott also likes it. Guy at CultureFuture also digs it. In this update, Isaac has some thoughts. I have some of the same reservations. I'm all for more productions of more new plays by more playwrights, but I find the issue is funding, not access to the work. Still, good on Gus and all.

- Via the aforementioned Isaac and the aforementioned Guy, RVCBard has an idea. Rock on.

- In other news, Thomas Garvey is ignoring me...except when he's not. Keep the good ideas coming, Thomas!

- Via the aforementioned and aforementioned Isaac, today's must read: Ian David Moss' Outrageous Fortune wrap-up. Key graf:
For me, Outrageous Fortune is above all a reaffirmation of the perils of the winner-take-all economy in the arts. Looked at from almost every conceivable angle, one can find evidence of severe stratification in the theater world, both among artists and among the theaters themselves. This stratification has implications not just for the dollars and cents but also for the kinds of opportunities available to artists, the kinds of work they find themselves doing, and the artistic vitality of theater as a whole. It is a powerful indictment of market forces and a demonstration of why philanthropic and public subsidy matters in the arts.
Since I am aware of all internet traditions, I can say: RTWT.

- Tony Adams asks a question. Give him an answer.

- In everything else, I've neglected to highlight Jaime's very thoughtful writing on the relief effort for Haiti here, here and here. (That last link is just plain awesome.)

- I may indeed be aware of all internet traditions, but I am often behind the curve on neat things. Like Lala. And the way you can easily post songs, like the one I just put on the page here. It's been running around in my head for a while. So have a listen. You won't be sorry.

No comments: