Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Who Said We Were Done With Statistics?

The Denver Post, in the midst of the Colorado New Play Summit, asked 177 theatre professionals (a group that was 68% male, natch) what they thought the most important American play was and these are the top ten. The full list is here. Here are various breakdowns. I'm at the old day job, working for a living, but I'll try to do a good parsing later (though I think some others might take a whack at it before I do). Nonetheless...this should be interesting. For a few days at least.

2 comments:

Freeman said...

Well...it can't be all that bad. Jason Grote's 1001 and Sarah Ruhl's Eurydice are listed as "more important" than Fool for Love, Hurlyburly, Ruined, and Bug.

And according to this August: Osage County is more "important" than Zoo Story, True West, Buried Child and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Seems a bit... off.

isaac butler said...

Important is a really weird measure. It's vague. Does it mean personal favorites? Influential? Best?

Personaly, I would say that 1001 and Eurydice are both better plays that Hurlyburly (a play I despise) but in terms of "importance"? I dunno.