Friday, May 1, 2009

Hmm....

I'm really not too sure how I feel about this. Not sure at all. I think I disagree, but I'm not sure what, exactly, I disagree with. I've read it over a couple of times and I know there are some specific points where it loses me.

Part of it is I don't think he takes the differences in funding very seriously. Britain and most of Europe have a very well-funded arts scene. That's not the case here. And the whole cultural difference about modesty or self-assurance...I'm not sure what that's about. I know plenty of brilliant writers here in the states who don't have much in the way of confidence.

And then his list of five qualities unique to theatre...I guess I disagree with, well, several of them. I don't think that #3 and #4 are particular ONLY to theatre, I definitely disagree with the thing about the lost art of listening and I think #5 is a serious overstatement.

But there's something else about it that I just don't...connect with. What do you think?

No comments: