Thursday, February 11, 2010

Things I'm Thinking About Before Answering

Guy at CultureFuture asks a good question:
The crux of the manifesto is this: every time a checklist is developed of things that you have to remember to avoid infection, and you force doctors to go through that checklist, rates of infection go down. The increase in positive medical outcomes is measurable, and at the end of the process, 80% of doctors say that the checklist improved outcomes and saved lives-- and 92% say that they want the doctor who's operating on them to use a checklist.
<...snip...>
The case in which checklists were used were to prevent carelessness. But I think the checklist idea might be able to address diversity... if you can figure out what belongs on the checklist.

So I call upon you, internet: say I'm the head of an organization who wants to ensure diversity in hiring practices. What would you have me put on my checklist?
The checklist bit refers to The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande.

Interesting stuff. And I like the practicality of it. Want more diversity? Great! What steps do you take? My modus operandi normally is to pop off, right from the top of my head, but this exercise actually requires some thought. So I'm going to give it some. But feel free to share your thoughts with Guy here.

No comments: