Monday, November 2, 2009

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Okay, so, as usual, once I get started, I can't quite keep my yap shut. It's a pretty safe bet that the interwebs will be buzzing about the closing of Brighton Beach Memoirs, but this Times article and the post on The Playgoer paint a pretty good picture of the missteps, miscalculations and bad luck/calls that got it there. I'm not sure how much I agree with Simon's (and others) pooh-poohing of the theatre-going landscape or the sense that audiences just weren't interested. I do think it highlights a generational shift in the audience and what attracts them, as well as the structural changes that have taken place in the industry over the last decades. I didn't get to see it, but it sounded like a good production. Ah, well.

No comments: