Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Still Angry

I read about this today and felt a mix of feelings. In the interest of full disclosure, a company I worked with was involved with this project at an early stage, so I've met some of the folks involved and like them. I like the play (at least as I remember it; I didn't get to see the production) and wish them all the best. In fact, I think this is the kind of play that should be done more: smart, funny, about about something socially relevant and significant, yet without being overly preachy or didactic. Also home-grown for that company (which has the playwright as the A.D.- also good). So it's not about the play, the production, or anything like that. I don't begrudge them their success.

But it makes me think about this. And this.

I'm sure that there are lots and lots of legitimate reasons, lots of sensible reasons for the difference in the fortunes of the show, timing, all of that. But, honestly...it still makes me mad.

As I'm finding my way back into the world of theatre, with the new fall shows starting, I find that one thing isn't changing. I'm usually the only black person in the room. I'm used to it, granted, but it never stops shocking me. It never stops upsetting me. And what upsets me more even more is that there's no conversation happening about it. No articles discussing it, no other blog posts about it. Just like there was no discussion about why Ruined didn't transfer.

If you want to figure out why the audiences are leaving, why the circle keeps shrinking, look at this.

1 comment:

joshcon80 said...

I was about to write that there were some great blogs covering the Ruined transfer issue when it was going on, but then I remembered that it was here.

Here's a little secret: white liberals don't like talking about race. It makes them very, very uncomfortable. They have an uncanny knack for ignoring obvious but unpleasant things like institutionalized racism, marriage inequality, and class barriers.

Liberals (and artists by default- by virtue of their big, big hearts- don't contribute to those societal ills.